These 6 facts about WV restaurants will blow your mind (and appetite!)
Some restaurants have been dishing out Instagram-worthy dishes for Charleston Restaurant Week since the very beginning — in 2014. Whether it’s a house-smoked prime rib with horseradish sauce or succulent shrimp in a lemon cream sauce with baked green chile cheese grits, these Charleston staples are sure to impress. Here are 6 little-known facts:
1. Charleston’s premier Pan-Asian restaurant, Ichiban Pan-Asian Restaurant, is known for its stellar sushi. But, do you know the meaning behind its name? In Japanese, Ichiban (番) means “number 1.” They even serve an “Ichiban Maki” roll with yellowtail, fresh salmon, avocado and topped with tuna!
Chef Evan Wilson:
2. You can dine in an elegant yet relaxed atmosphere at Laury’s. But did you know it’s actually located in the old C&O Railroad Depot, a National Register of Historic Places? The station was originally owned by the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway and constructed in the early 1900’s to replace the original passenger station that was constructed in the late 1800s.
3. One local restaurant has served Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg! Bluegrass Kitchen welcomed Zuckerberg and his wife Patricia Chan to brunch earlier this year, where owner Keeley Steele said the couple enjoyed their meal and left a hefty tip.
Chef Justin Steele, and Owner Keeley Steele:
4. Soho’s Italian Restaurant at the Capitol Market didn’t take inspiration from Lower Manhattan; rather, the restaurant is named after its late longtime owner Bill Sohovich, whose wife Sharon continues to churn out an eclectic menu of pizzas, sandwiches, salads and more.
5. The Market’s Richard Arbaugh has been selected (twice!) to host Appalachian-themed dinners for the James Beard Foundation, which is a national nonprofit culinary arts organization named in honor of food writer, teacher and cookbook author.
Chef Richard Arbaugh:
4. Did you know you can get a taste of Bridge Road Bistro right at home? Aptly named “Bridge To Home,” this service provides farm to fork quality meals to your table without the hassle with delicious options like manicotti florentine, smoked beef brisket and more.
How many fun facts did you know? Tweet us @eatlocalcwv!